Evansville, located in the southwestern part of Indiana, is a city that has a lot to offer. With a population of over 100,000 people, it is the third-largest city in Indiana and is known for its rich history, cultural attractions, and outdoor activities.
One of the most notable features of Evansville is its beautiful riverfront area. The Ohio River runs right through the heart of the city, and there are many parks and trails along the river that offer stunning views. Visitors can take a stroll along the riverfront promenade or enjoy a picnic in one of the many parks.
For those interested in history, Evansville has plenty to offer as well. The Evansville Museum of Arts, History & Science features exhibits on everything from dinosaurs to space travel. Another popular attraction is the Reitz Home Museum, which gives visitors a glimpse into what life was like for wealthy families in Evansville during the 19th century.
Sports fans will also find plenty to do in Evansville. The city is home to several minor league sports teams, including the Evansville Otters baseball team and the Evansville Thunderbolts hockey team.
Foodies will also love exploring all that Evansville has to offer. The city has a thriving food scene with many locally owned restaurants serving up everything from traditional Midwestern fare to international cuisine.
Overall, Evansville is a great destination for anyone looking for an exciting blend of history, culture, outdoor activities, and delicious food. Whether you’re visiting for a weekend or longer, there’s always something new and exciting to discover in this vibrant city.
Your Ultimate Guide to Evansville: Answers to 9 Commonly Asked Questions
- What is there to do in Evansville?
- Where is Evansville located?
- How big is Evansville?
- What are the best restaurants in Evansville?
- What attractions are near Evansville?
- Is there public transportation available in Evansville?
- Is there an airport in or near Evansville?
- What is the cost of living like in Evansville?
- Are there any universities or colleges in or near Evansville?
What is there to do in Evansville?
There are plenty of things to do in Evansville, Indiana for visitors of all ages and interests. Here are some of the top attractions and activities to check out:
- Visit the Evansville Museum of Arts, History & Science: This museum features a wide range of exhibits on everything from art and history to science and technology.
- Explore the riverfront area: The Ohio River runs right through the heart of Evansville, and there are many parks and trails along the river that offer stunning views. Take a stroll along the riverfront promenade or enjoy a picnic in one of the many parks.
- Tour the Reitz Home Museum: This historic home gives visitors a glimpse into what life was like for wealthy families in Evansville during the 19th century.
- Catch a game: Evansville is home to several minor league sports teams, including the Evansville Otters baseball team and the Evansville Thunderbolts hockey team.
- Enjoy local cuisine: The city has a thriving food scene with many locally owned restaurants serving up everything from traditional Midwestern fare to international cuisine.
- Visit Angel Mounds State Historic Site: This archaeological site features ancient Native American mounds and offers visitors an opportunity to learn about prehistoric cultures that once inhabited this area.
- Explore Wesselman Woods Nature Preserve: This 200-acre nature preserve offers hiking trails, birdwatching opportunities, and educational programs for visitors of all ages.
- Check out Mesker Park Zoo & Botanic Garden: This zoo features over 700 animals from around the world as well as beautiful botanical gardens.
These are just a few examples of what you can do in Evansville – there’s always something new and exciting to discover in this vibrant city!
Where is Evansville located?
Evansville is located in the southwestern part of Indiana, United States.
How big is Evansville?
Evansville is the third-largest city in Indiana, with a population of over 100,000 people. The city covers an area of approximately 47 square miles (122 square kilometers) and is located in the southwestern part of the state, along the Ohio River.
What are the best restaurants in Evansville?
Evansville has a thriving food scene with many locally owned restaurants serving up delicious cuisine. Here are some of the best restaurants in Evansville:
- The Log Inn – This historic restaurant has been around since 1825 and is known for its fried chicken, country ham, and other Southern-style dishes.
- Sauced – This popular pizza joint offers a wide variety of creative pizzas, as well as salads, sandwiches, and appetizers.
- Gerst Haus – This German restaurant has been a staple in Evansville since 1890 and is known for its traditional German dishes like schnitzel and sausages.
- Turoni’s Pizzery & Brewery – This local favorite serves up delicious pizza, calzones, sandwiches, and salads. They also have their own brewery with a variety of craft beers on tap.
- La Campirana – This Mexican restaurant offers authentic Mexican cuisine with fresh ingredients and bold flavors.
- Madeleine’s Fusion Restaurant – This upscale restaurant offers a fusion of French and Asian cuisine with dishes like lobster bisque and sushi rolls.
- Angelo’s Italian Restaurant – This family-owned Italian restaurant has been around since 1958 and is known for its homemade pasta dishes, pizzas, and seafood entrees.
- Azzip Pizza – This fast-casual pizza chain allows customers to build their own pizzas with a variety of toppings and sauces to choose from.
These are just a few of the many great restaurants that Evansville has to offer. Whether you’re in the mood for Southern comfort food or international cuisine, you’re sure to find something delicious in this vibrant city!
What attractions are near Evansville?
There are several attractions near Evansville that visitors may want to explore during their visit to the area. Here are a few options:
- Lincoln State Park: Located about an hour north of Evansville, this state park is dedicated to Abraham Lincoln’s childhood in Indiana. Visitors can explore the grounds, hike the trails, and even see a replica of Lincoln’s boyhood home.
- Holiday World & Splashin’ Safari: About an hour and a half east of Evansville, this amusement park and water park combo is a great destination for families. With roller coasters, water slides, and other rides, there’s something for everyone.
- Hoosier National Forest: Located about an hour northeast of Evansville, this national forest offers over 200,000 acres of hiking trails, camping sites, fishing spots, and more.
- New Harmony: This small town is located about 30 minutes northwest of Evansville and is known for its historic architecture and art community. Visitors can explore the town’s many galleries and museums or take a stroll through the serene landscapes.
- French Lick Resort: About two hours east of Evansville, this historic resort offers golf courses, spas, casinos, and more.
These are just a few options for attractions near Evansville. Whether you’re interested in history or outdoor activities or just want to have some fun with your family or friends, there’s something nearby that will fit the bill!
Is there public transportation available in Evansville?
Yes, public transportation is available in Evansville. The city has a public bus system called METS (Metropolitan Evansville Transit System) that provides service throughout the city and surrounding areas.
METS operates 12 fixed routes, as well as paratransit services for individuals with disabilities who are unable to use the fixed-route system. The buses run from early morning until late at night, with reduced service on weekends and holidays.
In addition to the regular bus service, METS also offers a bike-share program called “BikeShare Evansville.” This program allows users to rent bikes from various locations throughout the city and return them to any of the other rental locations.
Overall, while Evansville may not have as extensive a public transportation system as some larger cities, visitors and residents can still get around using METS buses or by renting a bike through BikeShare Evansville.
Is there an airport in or near Evansville?
Yes, there is an airport near Evansville. The Evansville Regional Airport (EVV) is located just outside of the city and offers daily flights to major cities such as Chicago, Dallas/Fort Worth, and Atlanta. The airport is served by several airlines, including American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, and United Airlines. Additionally, the Owensboro-Daviess County Regional Airport (OWB) is located about 35 miles northeast of Evansville and offers flights to several destinations in the Midwest.
What is the cost of living like in Evansville?
The cost of living in Evansville is generally considered to be lower than the national average. According to Numbeo, a website that tracks cost of living data for cities around the world, the cost of living in Evansville is about 18% lower than the national average.
Housing costs in Evansville are particularly affordable. The median home price in Evansville is around $120,000, which is significantly lower than the national median home price of over $200,000. Renting an apartment in Evansville is also relatively affordable, with one-bedroom apartments typically renting for around $600-$700 per month.
Food and groceries are also reasonably priced in Evansville. A meal at an inexpensive restaurant will typically cost around $10-$15, while a gallon of milk and a loaf of bread will each cost around $2.
Utilities and transportation costs in Evansville are also generally lower than the national average. Monthly utilities for a typical apartment will typically cost around $100-$150, while gasoline prices are often below the national average.
Overall, while the cost of living can vary depending on individual circumstances and lifestyle choices, many people find that they can live comfortably and affordably in Evansville compared to other cities in the United States.
Are there any universities or colleges in or near Evansville?
Yes, there are several universities and colleges in or near Evansville. The University of Evansville is a private university located in the heart of the city. It offers over 80 undergraduate majors, as well as graduate programs in business, education, and health sciences.
Another notable institution is Ivy Tech Community College, which has a campus in Evansville. Ivy Tech offers a wide variety of associate degree and certificate programs in fields such as business, healthcare, technology, and more.
In addition to these two institutions, there are several other colleges and universities within driving distance of Evansville. These include:
– University of Southern Indiana: Located about 10 miles west of Evansville in the town of Newburgh, this public university offers over 100 undergraduate majors and several graduate programs.
– Oakland City University: This private Christian university is located about 30 miles north of Evansville in Oakland City, Indiana. It offers undergraduate degrees in fields such as business, education, and ministry.
– Vincennes University: Located about 50 miles north of Evansville in Vincennes, Indiana, this public university offers over 180 degree programs at the associate’s and bachelor’s level.
Overall, there are plenty of options for higher education in or near Evansville. Whether you’re looking for a small private school or a large public university, you’re sure to find something that fits your needs.